Once in a LIVEtime
Lineup: Portnoy, Petrucci, Myung, Sherinian, LaBrie
Tracklist: (click songs for 30 second samples!)
- A Change of Seasons I: The Crimson Sunrise 3:56
- A Change of Seasons II: Innocence 3:05
- Puppies on Acid 1:24
- Just Let Me Breathe 5:53
- Voices 10:34 (60 second sample)
- Take The Time 12:30 (60 second sample)
- Derek Sherinian Piano Solo 1:54
- Lines in the Sand 13:13 (75 second sample)
- Scarred 9:27 (45 second sample)
- A Change of Seasons IV: The Darkest Of Winters 3:17
- Ytse Jam 3:17
- Mike Portnoy Drum Solo 4:09
Availability: This album is fairly common
- Trial of Tears 14:11 (75 second sample)
- Hollow Years 7:01
- Take Away My Pain 6:16
- Caught In a Web 5:16
- Lie 6:45
- Peruvian Skies 7:50 (45 second sample)
- John Petrucci Guitar Solo 8:06 (45 second sample)
- Pull Me Under 8:15 (45 second sample)
- Medley -- Metropolis 6:16
- Medley -- Learning to Live 4:13
- Medley -- A Change of Seasons VII: The Crimson Sunset 3:49
Purchase: Amazon.com, $22.99
- This is Dream Theater's 2nd live album and their 7th release alltogether, coming in between Falling Into Infinity and Scenes From a Memory.
- This is the only live album to feature Derek Sherinian on keyboards, and the last album he appeared on.
- All of the songs used on this album were recorded in Paris on the Touring Into Infinity tour. The entire show was not used however.
- This is the 1st DT album to be a double disc set.
- Songs that were taken off this album wound up on Once in a LIVEtime Outtakes.
- Although the album features no full cover songs, bits and pieces of cover songs were used during DT's own songs, a common practice for them. This includes "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Enter Sandman" by Metallica, "Moby Dick" by Led Zepellin, "Platypus" by Platypus (A Derek Sherinian and John Myung sideproject.), "Have a Cigar" by Pink Floyd, "Paradigm Shift" by Liquid Tension Experiment (A Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci sideproject that also featured future DT keyboardist Jordan Rudess.). and a portion of the classical piece "Flight of the Bumblebee.
- Derek's piano solo is actually the intro to Lines in the Sand played completely on piano.
- The album cover not only does not feature the familiar font for the words "Dream Theater" but does not include the "Majesty Symbol" which appears in the liner notes and the back of the album.
- At the end of the album you can clearly hear the band play the beginning of A Fortune In Lies as a flourish, and you can also hear the beginning of Fly Me to the Glass Moon.