Live Scenes From New York
Lineup: Portnoy, Petrucci, Myung, Rudess, LaBrie
Tracklist: (click songs for 30 second samples!)
- Overture 1928 3:31
- Strange Deja Vu 5:02
- Through My Words 1:42
- Fatal Tragedy 6:21
- Beyond This Life 11:16 (60 second sample)
- John and Theresa Solo Spot 3:17
- Through Her Eyes 6:17
- Home 13:21 (75 second sample)
- The Dance of Eternity 6:24
- One Last Time 4:11
- The Spirit Carries On 7:40 (45 second sample)
- Finally Free 10:59 (60 second sample)
- Metropolis, Pt. 1 10:36 (60 second sample)
- The Mirror 8:15 (45 second sample)
- Just Let Me Breathe 4:01
- Acid Rain 2:34
- Caught In a New Millenium 6:21
- Another Day 5:13
- Jordan Rudess Keyboard Solo 6:40
Availability: This album is fairly common, the original cover version is very rare and i'd reccomend ebay.
- A Mind Beside Itself: Erotomania 7:22
- A Mind Beside Itself: Voices 9:44 (45 second sample)
- A Mind Beside Itself: The Silent Man 5:02
- Learning to Live 14:01 (75 second sample)
- A Change of Seasons 24:33 (135 second sample)
Purchase: Amazon.com, $22.99
- This is Dream Theater's 3rd live album and their 9th release alltogether, coming in between Scenes From a Memory and Six Degrees of Inner Tubulence.
- This album was released on 9/11/01, the same day as the tragic events in New York, Washington DC and Pennsylvania. The album featured an unintentionally innapropriate cover featuring the world trade center (as well as other aspects of the NYC skyline) with a backdrop of flame. The album was immediatley recalled and released later with a different cover. You can see the original cover Here.
- This is the first live album to feature Jordan Rudess on keybaords.
- This is the first DT album to come as a 3CD set.
- An interesting bit of trivia, the first 3 DT live albums have different keyboardists, and each has one more CD than the last.
- This is the first time A Change of Seasons was featured in it's entirety on a DT live recording, as well as the A Mind Beside Itself suite.
- The instrumental song Acid Rain is a cover song, the original was done by Liquid Tension Experiment which is basically Dream Theater minus vocals and with Tony Levin playing bass.
- This album is the entirety of DT's last concert from the "Live Scenes From a World Tour" tour, their longest concert which ran so long that Mike Portnoy was sick afterwards and almost rushed to the hospital.
- This is the last time Scenes From a Memory was performed live in it's entirety.
- Theresa Thomasan also appeared on Scenes, and does a vocal solo along with John Petrucci's guitar solo.
- The first part of Jordan's solo is improvised, the second part was performed many times before.
- Caught in a New Millenium is a mishmash that alternates between Caught in a Web and New Millenium.
- Jay Beckenstien plays Soprano sax for Another Day.