Images and Words: Live in Tokyo
Released: 1993, 2004
Lineup: Portnoy, Petrucci, Myung, Moore, LaBrie, Rudess
This video contains concert footage from a performance in Japan, tour footage of the band and 3 music videos.
Availability: The original VHS tape is quite rare in stores, but can easily be ordered online. The DVD version, which also contains 5 Years in a LIVEtime is brand new and quite common.
Original VHS: Amazon.com, $9.49
DVD version "Twice in a LIVEtime": Amazon.com, $14.99
- This was the 1st video that Dream Theater ever put out, it came out in 1993.
- This video was recently for the first time released on DVD as part of the set "Twice in a LIVEtime" that also includes DT's 2nd video, 5 Years in a LIVEtime. The new DVD contains commentary from the current band, which does not include then-member Kevin Moore, but does contain commentary by Jordan Rudess.
- The three music videos shown are for Pull Me Under, Take the Time and Another Day. All three videos were submitted for MTV but the only one that got regular play was Pull Me Under.
- This video originated as a companion piece for Live at the Marquee, which is why the cover art for both are almost identical. This is ironic because Live at the Marquee was never released in the United States.
- Band commentary was actualy done in Japan while the band was touring to support their album Train of Thought.
- This was the first time you could buy a version of To Live Forever, as it was not included on any DT CD release until Cleaning Out The Closet in 1999, although the song was included on 5 Years In a LIVEtime.
- This was also the first time we got to hear James LaBrie sing any of the songs off of DT's first album, When Dream and Day Unite, as that album was sung by former member Charlie Dominici.
- Additional notes can be found by listening to the DVD commentary.