Images and Words
Lineup: Portnoy, Petrucci, Myung, Moore, LaBrie
Tracklist: (click songs for 30 second samples!)
Availability: This CD seems to be uncommon in stores, but not rare.
- Pull Me Under 8:14 (45 second sample)
- Another Day 4:23
- Take The Time 8:21 (45 second sample)
- Surrounded 5:30
- Metropolis, Pt.1: The Miracle and the Sleeper 9:32 (45 second sample)
- Under a Glass Moon 7:03
- Wait for Sleep 2:31
- Learning to Live 11:30 (60 second sample)
Purchase: Amazon.com, $14.99
- This is Dream Theater's second album, and their first on ATCO Records.
- ATCO was bought out by Eastwest, Eastwest was bought out by Elektra, and Elektra was bought out by Atlantic.
- This is the first DT album to feature James LaBrie on vocals.
- The songs Don't Look Past Me. To Live Forever and A Change of Seasons were all cut from this album.
- "Pull Me Under", "Take The Time" and "Another Day" were all released as radio singles and music videos, although only "Pull Me Under" was successful.
- Pull Me Under was a top ten hit.
- Shortly after this album was released, the band released their 1st EP, Another Day
- This was the first Dream Theater album to get Gold Certified.
- Metropolis had the "part one" tacked onto it as a joke by the band, there was never supposed to be a part 2. Part 2 was eventually written as a song for Falling Into Infinity, but wound up being expanded into the concept album Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From a Memory.
- Learning to Live is the band's first officially released song to go over 10 minutes long.
- Wait for Sleep is the first DT song to be fully composed (both musically and lyrically) by one member, Kevin Moore.
- The liner notes have a note saying thanks to "Fatez Warning (just kidding!)". The band purposely misspelled Fates Warning as a joke after that particular band gave thanks to "Dream Theatre" on their debut album.
- There is a "swing" version of Under a Glass Moon called "Fly Me to the Glass Moon". The mp3 of this is available for download in the Weirdness Section
- The title of this album comes from the lyrics to the song Wait For Sleep.
- The cover art to this album has many elements that were each taken from lyrics from the songs. This concept was repeated for the next album, Awake.
- This is the first DT album to feature the band's name in their signature font.
- The "flaming sacred heart" icon was used again for Live at the Marquee and a variation was used for the banned cover of Live Scenes From New York.
- The "Majesty Logo" icon appears engraved on the bed's canopy.
- Pull Me Under was originally called "Oliver's Twist", Take The Time was originally called "Grab That Feel". Metropolis was originally called "Crumbling Metropolis", Under a Glass Moon was originally called "The Battle of Jimmy Cocoa and Fishface" and Learning to Live was originally called "Creep With Tonality".
- In 2002, DT celebrated the 10 year aniversary of this album by releasing Taste The Memories via the DTIFC