Lineup: Portnoy, Petrucci, Myung, Moore, LaBrie
Tracklist: (click songs for 30 second samples!)
Availability: This CD is uncommon but not rare. I see it in stores more than Images and Words
- 6:00 5:32
- Caught In a Web 5:28
- Innocence Faded 5:42
- Erotomania 6:44
- Voices 9:53 (45 second sample)
- The Silent Man 3:43
- The Mirror 6:45
- Lie 6:34
- Lifting Shadows Off a Dream 6:05
- Scarred 10:59 (60 second sample)
- Space-Dye Vest 7:29
Purchase: Amazon.com, $10.99
- This is Dream Theater's 3rd album.
- This is DT's last album with Kevin Moore on keyboards.
- Erotomania. Voices. and The Silent Man comprise a suite known as A Mind Beside Itself which clocks in at 20:25, making it the first DT song to go over 20 minutes.
- The Mirror and Lie blend together as if they were one song.
- Space Dye-Vest is the second song completely penned by Kevin, and due to his departure from the band shortly after the album's completion, it was never played live.
- The band has asked Kevin to join them for a live performance of Space-Dye Vest on several occasions, but he has declined each invitation.
- As in the previous album, the cover art takes elements from lyrics of each songs.
- The titular line "Awake" is found both in Innocence Faded and Voices.
- The song Scarred is absent from the Cassette release of this album, due to time constrictions.
- 6:00 was originally called "Beachhouse Reality", The Mirror was originally called "Puppies on Acid", Lie was originally called "Kittens on Crack", Lifting Shadows Off a Dream was originally called "Blowfish", Caught in a Web was originally called "Squid", Scarred was originally called "Keymaster" and Innocence Faded was originally called "Fresca"
- The "Majesty Symbol" appears as an emblem on the ground on the cover art.
- The intro to The Mirror, titled "Puppies on Acid" is still played live under that name, usually merging into another song.
- Eve and an updated version of To Live Forever were both cut from this album.
- Considered but rejected titles for this album include: "Swim", "So Many Ways To Drown A Man", "Awareness", "Keymaster", "Wounds", "The Cage", "Out In The Rain", "Breathe", "Promise", "The Plague", "Coming Into View", "Reflections Of Reality", "Hell!", "Bugs!", "A Mind Confined Beside Itself Rising Unbound", "Thought Dissorder", "Fantasym Refuge", "Isolation", "6:00", "Wood To Chop", "Drown", "Immfxune To Openness", "Fatalistic Remedies", "Scars", "Desire And Fear" and "Space-Dye Vest"
- "The Silent Man" and "Lie" were both radio singles and both were made into music videos.
- The band released The Silent Man and Lie as their 2nd and 3rd EPs.