5 Years in a LIVEtime
Released: 1998, 2004
Lineup: Portnoy, Petrucci, Myung, Sherinian, LaBrie, Rudess, Moore
This video contains footage of a concert from Paris, a special fan-club only unplugged show in Germany, a special all-covers show in London, 3 music videos and tour footage.
Availability: The original VHS tape is quite rare in stores, but can easily be ordered online. The DVD version, which also contains Images and Words: Live in Tokyo is brand new and quite common.
Original VHS: Amazon.com, $19.98
DVD version "Twice in a LIVEtime": Amazon.com, $14.99
- This was the 2nd video that Dream Theater ever put out, it came out in 1998.
- This video was recently for the first time released on DVD as part of the set "Twice in a LIVEtime" that also includes DT's 1st video, Images and Words: Live in Tokyo. The new DVD contains commentary from the current band, which does not include then-member Derek Sherinian, but does contain commentary by Jordan Rudess.
- The three music videos shown are for The Silent Man, Hollow Years and Lie. All three videos were submitted for MTV but the only one that got regular play was Lie.
- This video originated as a companion piece for Once in a LIVEtime, which is why the cover art for both are almost identical.
- Band commentary was actualy done in Japan while the band was touring to support their album Train of Thought.
- A few rare songs are included, such as To Live Forever, Cover My Eyes and Speak to Me.
- Contains covers of "Siberian Khateru" and "Starship Trooper" by Yes, "Have a Cigar" by Pink Floyd, "Enter Sandman" and "Damage Inc." by Metallica and "Easter" by Marillion.
- Many guests are shown including Rick Wakeman and Steve Howe of Yes, several members of Marillion and Slayer and Barney from Napalm Death
- Additional notes can be found by listening to the DVD commentary.